Michael Kasten is a well known designer who has many designs of interest. He has sail and power craft, and his web page outlines his designs in good detail. He also has a page of articles that are well worth a read regardless of your like or dislike of his plans.
Most of his craft has reasonable sized (small) engines, he uses metal hulls and superstructures, and variable pitch props instead of the more common transmission setup. All reasonable seeming ideas to me.
Many of his power designs are attractive to me, but I’ll try to narrow this down to a few:
- Li’l Boojum – 22.5′ Tug Yacht – This design is great… trailerable, true ocean-going capabilities, and tiny. Not to mention its cute. It shows that an open water boat doesn’t have to huge. I think it may be too small for 3, but…
- Buster – 30′ version of the Boojum – this is getting close
- Greatheart – 36′ Trawler Yacht – Good size, pretty boat
- Coaster – 40′ Trawler Yacht –
- Vagabond – 50′ Trawler
- getting a little large, but a nice craft