Late December 2017
As Promised this is installment 2.
It got mighty cold around here! I’m talking like in the teens during the day as a high!
This meant it was all heaters on deck inside the shop as well as time to man all heat lamps.
I was able to keep the epoxy and the work surfaces at 55 degrees which is the cut off temp for my epoxy. Verifying this was done with my infrared thermometer.
I figured I would start at the back and work forwards as it would take almost 2 full sheets to go across the cabin. Also starting at the back meant that the amount of faring to be done would be forward on the sheet that did not need to be as long. Thus it would make it easier to emplace the sheet, trace and trim and refit it to the shape of the forward part of the cabin. Using my Locktite construction adhesive, spread it along the cabin studs before screwing the sheet to the studs. I was able to get the big sheets on the studs and affixed permanently with only slight hassle. However there was a bit of a gap at the bottom of the sheets of plywood along the the entire length of the cabin. This is because the cabin walls were taller than 4’. The gap was about six inch’s at its tallest point in the back but tapered with the sheer towards the bow.
The solution I came up with was to use the left over scrap from the parts of ¼” ply used at the front of the cabin and cut them into strips about 6” wide. These 4’ long strips I would than scarph to the remaining length. The next day after it had hardened, I placed the much longer strips now against the cabin. They fit great at the stern, so cool. After securing them I went inside the boat to trace the line at on the strips that would give me the outline needed to trim them. With only minor inconvenience and difficulty, the strips were cut, planned, sanded fit and attached. Since they are going to be at the bottom of the cabin I decided to use epoxy.
Now the port and starboard sides were completely roughed in, next would be the back panels which would effectively rough in the cabin.