Early December 2017

Ahoy everyone,

Once again I know I am playing catchup in getting the details of the progress out to you guys.

It seems like putting the raters up and trimming the studs happened eons ago. Much more progress has happened since then.

The next stop after the cabin was framed was installing the roof. For this I used four 4×8 sheets of ½” pressure treated plywood. I figured I could use the middle rafter as the point that the fore and after sheets met. Yet for the middle I was perplexed. I didn’t want a beam running fore to aft as that would maybe cut down on headroom. It would also add a lot of weight to the top of the boat and I did not like that prospect much at all. So I figured I would create a 6” scarph joint down the sides of the plywood. Thus getting out my trusty planers and belt sander I got to work. Once that was done I figured the next day I would be able to lift them onto the roof.

Wow, did I underestimate how much of a pain getting those plywood sheets on the roof was going to be. My wife was busy doing something and she said that she could not help me until later. Yet me being the ever impatient one (I like building this boat but I really want to use it.), I decided I could just muscle those plywood babies up there on my lonesome. I figured what I would do is just prop up the sheets on the transom of the boat, get in on the fantail and overhand-head heave those sheets up to the roof. What I did not expect was that the angle I needed to avoid the rafters of the shop was pretty drastic. I therefore had neck craned back to watch as I lifted. After several attempts of lift, set back down and lift again; I finally got it. Boy was I sure happy when that was done! My shoulders, back and arms killed me the next day.

The following day, my wife planned on coming out to the shop with me to help me affix the roof permanently with epoxy and glue. Before she came out however, I had to figure out how to “clamp” the scarphed edges together. I decided that I would screw a board on the underside of the exposed panel and screw a 2 ½” screw through the top panel. This would hold the panels together while the epoxy hardened. With a plan made, we got to work. First step was lifting up the panels off the rafters so we could apply glue to them. Once that was done and the panels were ready for their scarphs to be epoxied, I headed up to the roof. I had my very capable wife do the mixing of the epoxy and fillers and handing me up the can. I liberally applied the gooey stickum to the inside of the scarphs and began drilling the screws. The screws and board clamp seemed to work out well as we obtained a uniform thickness down the middle of the roof (more or less).

Since I have a lot to catch you up on. I will be doing this update in installments. What happens next is getting the walls up to complete the roughing in of the cabin.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *