From 17 September to October 28:

Well ahoy all and sorry for the extremely late update.

Things have been beyond busy lately, although I am well aware that is not a very good excuse.

To start with and I am not aware if I have told any of you yet. But I started a small woodworking business called Quarterdeck Woodworking LLC. If you are interested by all means look it up on Facebook. I won’t bore you guys to much with how that’s been going.

I was however able to get the rest of the gunnels laminated with the exact same process that I had described to you earlier. It was a bit of a long and slow road but it was accomplished all the same.

I then set about getting preparing for to install the cabin studs or posts. Essentially these will be like studs in a house that the inner and outer paneling for the cabin is affixed to. For these studs I decided to use pressure treated lumber that you can get at your local Lowes. The plans called for these posts to be 2×3 for the areas that hold the cabin windows and 2×2 or so for the rest of the space. Further the plans called for the posts to be attached to the sheer with Lag screws, so I procured several 3” lag screws.

I decided that attaching them would consist of notching the sheer to receive the posts so that they could stand straight up and down while also being attached to the chine. Yet this would also require me to shape the bottom of the post and cut notches so that it would receive the chine. Lastly I decided that I would only use thickened epoxy on the posts below the water line or right where they attach to the chine. This is because this area is the most likely to see the most amount of water or be more inclined to be wet. Where it attached to the sheer and along with the lag screws, I figured I would use some construction adhesive; deciding on Locktite PL landscaping adhesive.

Firstly I decided to go ahead and with the help of a buddy on a weekend get the forward parts of the cabin; or the part containing the large picture windows done. Wow what a chore that turned out to be. We cut, fitted, glued and screwed each post individually. That seemed to take forever and honestly the better part of that Saturday. Yet we eventually got the forward part of the cabin including the front door frame done.

During the weeks following I decided to see if I could somewhat speed up the process so that the next time my buddy Tony was in town it would go by faster and easier. I thus decided to utilize my wife and 8 year old daughter Paylah at different times to help me cut and fit the rest of the posts. For the most part they would hold the post level and move it until it was entirely plumb, or exposing where I needed to trim and do more fitting. During this process, I devised a way to keep track of where each stud went, by numbering the notch with a corresponding number to its post. Once that was done on each stud, I marked the spot where the lag screw was to be installed on each post. Since I wanted a flush front on my studs for the interior paneling, I counter sunk each lag screw with my drill press and a large spade bit. I would then take the post back to the boat and mock it up again, and drill a pilot hole for the lag screw so as to not split the chine. With all that done; I figured when Tony came back down we would have an easier time of it.

On the following weekend Tony came over to help me finish getting the rest of the posts stood up. I devised a process that would help us efficiently go about doing this. First since I was the chief shipwright (at least that is what I like to call myself lol!), I would stay inside the boat and do the majority of the permanent affixing. Tony would stand outside on my step stool and help hold the post and tell me when it was plumb with my level. He would also do the majority of the epoxy mixing once I gave him a quick tutorial on it with the first batch. It seemed to work out rather well as Tony would hand me the bottom of the post to epoxy before setting it on the chine, and would hold the post off the cut notch in the sheer so I could apply the Locktite to the sheer for the post. We than would set everything real good and move it as necessary to get a good plum fit. Once he told me were plum port and starboard as well as fore and aft, I screwed the lag screw in place.

Wow was that process much faster and exponentially more efficient. We did the aft posts in a quarter of the time it took the forward posts.

What an exciting event! The cabin studs are all emplaced and ready to receive the roof. Thus the next step is to create a jig for the roof and build it. If this keeps up I should have the majority of the cabin work done this winter; yet I am sure something will come along and foil those projections lol!

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *