September 14 2017:

Welcome back shipmates!

As you can probably guess, I have been extremely busy with this new job and the family. Yet I was able to get more timber. 1×6’s that were once again ripped down into 1×2’s with the scrap being utilized. With these new 1×2’s I was able to finish up laminating the port side. A few days later I was able to plane and sand the gunnel down to where it is now pretty level and looks a little more decent.

More day passed by and unfortunately I contracted some sickness that my daughter brought back with her from her pre-school. Yet I decided I could brave through a bit of work on the boat….well hopefully. Much like I did on the port side, I measured 2 inches down the frames on the starboard side. I cut a line there as well as marking a line on the forward and aft bulkheads of the cabin. Using the overall width of the port gunnel, I cut the same dimensions on the starboard side of the bulkheads.

My trusty sonic crafter oscillating tool made short work of those frames and bulkhead cutouts. Of course since I used screws to attach the sheer and plywood hull to the frames, I had to contend with those. So what I did was use my dremel to cut off the screws at the sheer.

This was all the progress I could make before my illness got the best of me. It was time to pack it in for the day and hopefully get better. This weekend and hopefully with some friends, I will be able to start laminating the starboard gunnel. We of course shall see!

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *