Starting to Laminate the Starboard Side.

September 17 2017:

Ahoy again all!

Well I was and am feeling much better after my bought with the plague. So this past Saturday I went ahead and decided to start laminating the starboard gunnel.

Since the notches were cut and ready along the starboard side of the sheer line, I gathered up some of my 1×2โ€™s (two to be exact) and got them somewhat laying in place and prepped for epoxy. I also went ahead and staged my clamps along the side of the boat so I could easily use them after I spread some slightly thickened epoxy along the 1×2โ€™s. To make matters better, I had a buddy of mine come out and help me laminate these timbers to the sheer clamp. It is always a whole lot easier when I can have some help doing this.

Thus with my buddy here to aide me, I began mixing and spreading epoxy along the 1×2โ€™s while Trey manned the clamps. Moving along starting at the bow, I held and maneuvered the pieces into position while he applied the clamps. Unfortunately we ran out of clamps after the first two pieces were applied. I could likely use screws if I wanted to continue but I figured I would only use them if absolutely necessary to giving the maximum amount of space to the epoxy. I can always go back later and sink some screws if I think it is prudent.

Today on Sunday I simply repeated the process, this time only with myself as an aide. Once again I laminated only two pieces as I ran out of clamps again. I was able to make up some fairing epoxy though and fill some areas that needed some attention.

Well until next time!

Prepping the STBD side for the gunnel…while sick!

September 14 2017:

Welcome back shipmates!

As you can probably guess, I have been extremely busy with this new job and the family. Yet I was able to get more timber. 1×6โ€™s that were once again ripped down into 1×2โ€™s with the scrap being utilized. With these new 1×2โ€™s I was able to finish up laminating the port side. A few days later I was able to plane and sand the gunnel down to where it is now pretty level and looks a little more decent.

More day passed by and unfortunately I contracted some sickness that my daughter brought back with her from her pre-school. Yet I decided I could brave through a bit of work on the boatโ€ฆ.well hopefully. Much like I did on the port side, I measured 2 inches down the frames on the starboard side. I cut a line there as well as marking a line on the forward and aft bulkheads of the cabin. Using the overall width of the port gunnel, I cut the same dimensions on the starboard side of the bulkheads.

My trusty sonic crafter oscillating tool made short work of those frames and bulkhead cutouts. Of course since I used screws to attach the sheer and plywood hull to the frames, I had to contend with those. So what I did was use my dremel to cut off the screws at the sheer.

This was all the progress I could make before my illness got the best of me. It was time to pack it in for the day and hopefully get better. This weekend and hopefully with some friends, I will be able to start laminating the starboard gunnel. We of course shall see!