28 August 2017
Once again sorry for having to play catch up again.
The deck or gunnels as I call them have been planned and sanded down on the forward starboard side. I did this on the off chance I would be able to mitigate the butt load of sanding and fairing to be done when all the gunnels were up.
I also have been able to get inside the boat sanded. What that means is that all the gobs of epoxy from filling seams and reinforcing areas are now sanded smooth. Don’t get me wrong there is a lot more sanding to come. However I figured that much less to do later the better.
Well, I was told I should perhaps mention that I am building a canoe or small 8 foot boat for my wife. Much of this is from the scrap that construction on the big boat has created. I have already made the frames, keel and am now working on the sheer clamps. On a more interesting note, the frames I steam bent; which was an adventure in and of itself. It took me awhile to get the knack of steaming the frames without breaking them, but all has worked out. You are probably no doubt aware of this if you follow me on Instagram @sudzyboatbuilder. More will follow on both projects as the small boat for my wife is proving to create a lot of its own challenges that the big boat did not.
Anyways until next time!
I figured I would let all of you know that I am starting a small wood working business that is based on facebook. Its a part time thing for now; mostly to help me fund the boat. But I hope to grow this so I can make it my full time job.
Anyways the business name is Quarterdeck Woodworking and you can find it on Facebook @QuarterdeckWoodworking or https://www.facebook.com/quarterdeckwoodworking/.
I invite all to come check it out!
1-20 August 217
Ahoy everyone sorry for the late bit of posting. I know it has been awhile since I last uploaded an update. For that I am sorry that, and I hope you haven’t all left me and my journey.
Well, I was able to purchase some lumber so that I could laminate the “deck” as the plans call it; something I would more call the gunnel. This lumber I purchased was actually 1×6 select grade pine that I was able to rip into 1×2 lengths to span the port side.
Thus I went ahead and ripped the 1×6 ‘s into 1×2 beams so as to create the gunnels. Yet what I was also left with “scrap” that I could perhaps laminate together to make even more 1×2 beams. So that is what I did; which in essence created at least 3 or 4 more lengths to use for the gunnels.
Using clamps, thickened epoxy and at times screws, I applied these beams to the sheer. Ultimately building up the port side gunnel to the point that it was 6 1×2 lengths thick.
Hopefully I will be able to get more lumber to finish up the port side (only 2 more sections of 1×2) and the starboard side.
On another note, I was able to get a full time position with the National Guard as a training technician. Which will mean that my family and I can breathe a little easier. Thus I will be able to buy more stuff for the boat, however my time to work on it will be somewhat diminished. Hopefully I will be able to balance this new opportunity with my dream of finishing this boat.
Anyways I hope all is well with everyone and I hope to keep all of you updated as things progress.