11 June 2017: Ahoy all! Well with not much to do in the way of continuing the deck lamination or installation; I decided to turn my attention towards the breasthook. Since the Sampson post will run through it, I figured now would be a good time to cut the hole for it to pass through.
The Sampson post is a solid piece of 3”x3” Douglas Fir that will be used as a tie off point for mooring or towing. It attached to the keel and frame A before passing up through the breasthook.
I utilized my tape measure and a ruler to determine where the post will go and to get the dimensions for the cut. Once the center of the breasthook had been established with the tape measure, I determined how far from the edge of the breast hook Frame A went. It goes a full 1 and 1/8th inch into the breasthook, so I marked it there along my centerline mark and used my ruler. Using the ruler I set it on the centerline mark at 1 and ½” and marked the beginning of the ruler and at the 3” mark. I measured up from these marks along the centerline again and made another mark at 3”. I repeated the top 3” mark as I did on the bottom to obtain a square of 3×3 inches.
After the hole was marked I went over to my drill press and drilled four holes on each corner. Once the holes were drilled, I went ahead and used my vice and jig saw to cut out the hole. I decided to use my tripod with my video camera so as to get some good footage of me cutting the hole. This is a bit of an experiment so we shall see how it goes. With the hole being roughly cut out I used a rasp and file to true up the edges and get a good square hole. With all of this being done, I replaced the breasthook in the bow to see how well it would work out. It seems to work out beautifully as the offset from the edge of the breasthook for the hole lines up perfectly flush with Frame A on the inside.
Up next I hope to either have the material to laminate the deck or I will likely be doing more inner hull epoxying.