1-2 June 2017: Greetings everyone! As you guys may be aware of, I have been working on the interior of the hull and prepping it for the deck. Since the deck runs from the bow all the way to the stern, I had to figure on how I was going to accomplish this. I spoke with Bruce as to my dilemma concerning the frames coming up the entire width of the sheer clamp. He revealed to me his discussion with the designer Mark as to how to go about installing the deck with this issue. Evidently the frames are cut down just enough to accept the 2” wide laminated deck members, and that they lay across the tops of the frames.  So that answered that question, yet I was curious as to how to tie all the deck members in at the bow. The bow being pointed would mean that I would either have to cut the deck beams at an angle to precisely fit while leaving no doubt gaping hole in the middle. I am sure this could be overcome with a hodgepodge of lumber and members cut and fit into place. I still have the Sampson post and anchor support to consider, thus adding to the potential for a jigsaw puzzle at the bow.

I therefore decided the best way to overcome this was once again an Idea I had gotten from Louis Sauzzedde and hisYouTube Channel “Tips from a Shipwright”. I would install a breasthook or a single piece of timber to go across the area from Frame A to the back of the stem. This member would of course need to be cut and shaped to fit in the void. It would also be a much simpler matter to cut the hole for the Sampson post and mount the anchor support onto of it. The deck beams would simply end at Frame A and the Breasthook.

The next issue aside from getting the exact dimensions and figuring how it would likely need to be installed was determining what material to make it out of. My choices thankfully for the most part were limited to either yellow pine or marine plywood. I toyed with the idea of laminating yellow pine, but I thought it would prove to be overly complicated, both time and resource consuming. Thus I decided to use some of my scrap marine plywood. I cut out top to the exact length so that the Breasthook would overlap the top of Frame A. The second layer would be slightly smaller so that it would end right in front of the Frame creating a notch.

After cutting everything to the rough dimensions I set out with my thick epoxy resin and 2-1 hardener (the stuff I used on the knee), and laminated it together. The work however was not entirely done because I had to prep the area between the stem and the frame in order to receive the Breasthook. So with sonic crafter, chisel’s, mallet and orbital sander I took to it. Leveling the top of the frame and faring the interior of the frame and sheer clamps.

The next day I found that my Breasthook had dried beautifully and it was now time to remove the clamps and get about to faring it out. Thus it was a bunch of using the plane, chisel, and sander then repeat until it was for the most part uniform along the laminations. What came next easily took the most time. That is attempting to dry fit it; emplacing it over the void and trimming either the Breasthook or boat members to fit it well. Yet after a somewhat exhaustive amount of time taking it in and taking it out, it was soon dry fit well. Now all I need to do is wait for my thin epoxy resin to get here so I can install it permanently. Before I install it permanently, I may go ahead and cut out the hole so the Sampson post can pass through it.

Next on the docket, I plan on prepping the frames and sheer clamp in order to receive the deck. I also have a trip to Lowes in my future for more pine.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *