29-30 May 2017: Confused and overwhelming seem to be the words I can best use to describe my current course. Not that this is in any way a deterrence.

Flipping the boat over and seeing all that needs to be done inside the hull is simply overwhelming to take in, it is confusing to know where to start and what sequence to start. I plan on epoxy filleting damn near every joint on the boat to include those between the hull sheets of plywood. The stern of the boat near the transom will require copious amounts of epoxy until I am satisfied with it. Yet since I am still not able at this point to purchase more epoxy for the venture thus I cannot proceed on that front.

I am therefore now seeing what I can do without epoxy, and I am quickly arriving at the conclusion of not much.

However I was able to fix or reinforce my earlier fix of a much earlier mistake. If you recall, I made a booboo when emplacing the keel along the frames. I believed that Frame J was where the keel should stop and thus cut it off there. Realizing of course that the keel needed to extend all the way to the transom, and the cut keel now fully dried and attached to the frames; I was left with a dilemma. So I used some scrap 1×4 pine and MDO to extend the keel the requisite length to the transom. While it has been screwed and epoxied thoroughly; I nevertheless had reservations about the strength of it and the transom. I therefore decided to take a tip from Louis Sauzzedde from his YouTube Channel “Tips from a Shipwright”, and build a transom knee.

Using some scrap pieces of plywood, I got my dimensions from inside the hull along frame J to the transom. I than laminated the plywood together (3 toll) into a rough cut block. Now I know what your thinking, “you said you didn’t have enough epoxy to do anything else”. I am still correct; the epoxy I used to laminate was the older thick epoxy I had mistakenly used on the members earlier. I therefore mixed it up and smeared a bunch of the viscous goo between the plywood. After clamping the crap out of it and setting it to dry for the night, I figured I would come out the next day to shape and fit it into place.

Waking to a bright and early morning, I went to the shop to get started on the knee. Boy had that thick epoxy set good and hard, man she is tough. Now utilizing the dimensions from inside the stern, I cut the angles and notches so that the knee would fit into place. It sure was a lot of cut, plane, sand, fit, remove and repeat until the knee fit good and snug. Once I get the more flexible and not near as brittle thin epoxy and hardener in, I will go ahead and permanently emplace it.

Looking ahead and attempting to clear up more confusion is how the deck goes in. The deck is laminated along the sheer of 1×4 pine. Yet my frames come up the entire length of my sides and to the top of my sheer clamp. So I do not know if I need to cut my frames down, or do I emplace the deck in sections around the frames. Very curious as to how and go about doing this indeed!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *