20-30 April 2017

Well these past few days have been exciting, interesting and almost terrifying. I finished fairing the hull, or at least the parts I cared to ensure were good and faired. Completing this task, I went ahead and had my wife pick a five gallon bucket of paint and some primer from Lowes. This time I wanted to get the same color accept have it finish glossy as opposed to matte. Ironically enough, my wife had a similar experience with the Lowes paint attendees at a different store. They gave her a lot of grief and at times were exceptionally rude; thanks to her patience and perseverance we got the paint we needed.

Rolling on the primer was pretty easy and I discovered that I would need to use a brush to cut in by the keel and along the hull during painting. About an hour later I had the hull completely primed, but being that it was a pretty muggy due to all the rain; thus it was unlikely to finish drying that day. So I figured I’d have to wait to start painting until the next day.

The following day, I began painting the hull with that awesome color I had picked out from Lowes. Being a prior Navy man, I wanted something along a grayish hue for the hull in order to somewhat mimic a warship. Finished out the gallon I had from my paint experiment, the matte finish gray. Since it had been a bit drier, the paint cured much faster and I was able to roll on a second coat of the new gloss grey paint the same day.

During my examination of the second coat drying, I discovered a spot on the bottom of the hull near the stern on the starboard side was blistering. I pressed it with my thumb and found it to be extremely soft; I therefore decided to cut it away to see the extent of the issue. It turned out to be about a quarter size area that had come loose from the plywood. Inspecting the area around it, all seamed well and secure, I therefore decided to mix up a bit of epoxy and talc to fill the hole. Figuring that as this dried, I could come out the next day, sand and re roll the area. So I proceeded to mix up the epoxy and fill the hole, sanding the plywood first to ensure a good seal.

On the next morning, I determined that the epoxy had done the job somewhat but it was still a bit squishy. So I mixed up another batch of epoxy and applied it over the area again in hopes of reinforcing it. However not deciding to waste another day on epoxy, I decided to roll the last coast of paint, avoiding the repaired area. The last coat of paint rolled on very well and I can say I am pleased with the color and application. Hopefully the repair job will seal up well enough and I can roll that last area and finish the painting completely.

Next on the docket is to start reinforcing my shops rafters and creating a scaffold type reinforcement to the floor so I can flip the boat. My dad will be coming down in a few weeks to help me flip it, yet I am confident the shop will be ready by then.

Leave a Reply