7 April 2017: Ahoy all! Well I returned from my makeup drill with the guard to more school work. Yuck!

Yet I was able before I left to apply the fill in polyester strips along what will be the port side of the hull. That was somewhat easier than before yet it sure did suck up almost every last bit of epoxy to get it done. However it was a bit tricky to flatten and smooth out as it kept wanting to bunch and crinkle up.

When I got back from Joplin I was able to determine how well the strip job had dried out. For the most part it seems to have hardened well and good to the areas I applied it. The exceptions being those folds and crinkles that had also dried into the cloth. The forward parts of the strips, around the bow look particularly “craggy”. I therefore decided today to utilize what remaining epoxy I had left to create filler or fairing compound to see it I could faire those areas out. Figured I would keep the fairing compound somewhat runny so that it would soak into any areas that were somewhat epoxy starved.

After allowing this round of fairing compound to dry, it seams that it will be possible to fair out the seams and craggy areas. Yet it will no doubt take more than one application in the rougher areas.

While I was away my wife and I decided we could go ahead and order two more gallons of epoxy and hardener. UPS says that this order should arrive Tuesday of next week. This is the epoxy order that I hope will allow me to finish sheeting and fairing the hull.

This cloth and epoxy method of sheeting and waterproofing a hull has definitely lost its allure to me. While there are no doubt serious benefits to be had, and the issues I have run into can be chalked up to being an amateur. I detest the sticky gooey of the epoxy and the complications that means for application on the cloth. Thus I have decided that I will for my next boat PLANK it rather than use plywood and epoxy. I am sure this will bring its own set of challenges, however at least I can stay clear of applying epoxy to cloth.

Leave a Reply