24 December 2016: What an alarming yet productive day of boat construction.

After getting the ham on the smoke for Christmas Eve dinner, I struck out to the shop to get some work done. The Port and Starboard sides of the bow along the seams were set and look great. I figured I would work on the keel area of the forward bow, from about Frame B to the stem. Like the rest of the keel, I cut a small plywood strip to fit along approximately two feet of the forward keel. For the rest, I would decide to just use epoxy to fill the seam along the forward keel and seal the hull together as one congruent unit.

This worked rather well and to my surprise did not require the exorbitant amount of epoxy to complete. Even though the temperature here is around the mid to upper forties, I thought it would be a good idea to emplace the heat lamps and halogens to keep the area warm. This required some wrestling with my hanging lights as well as my tripod halogen to accomplish but it was done. As I began to collect my things and tidy a bit, I noticed that the areas directly under the lamps were beginning to smoke. It was the epoxy basically cooking. So a few expletives and some running and tripping later I had them cut off. For the most part it does not look like any long term damage was done but some of the epoxy did bubble up. Yet it feels hard and like it was setting up ok despite being cooked somewhat. I therefore have decided to let the setting process finish and inspect it afterwards. If there are areas that I need to re-epoxy I will do so as I discover them.

I am sure I will go to the shop on a regular basis for the rest of the evening just to check on the epoxy; I can now honestly say my heart rate has returned to normal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *