Ahoy mates! Sorry for not being near as vocal as I have been in the past. I had a term paper and homework to do for school, as well as work on the boat and the regular odds and ends of country living. A lot has transpired in the past few days and weeks so permit me to fill you in without the exact chronological notations of dates.

After the chine logs were successfully installed I got to work scarphing the sheer clamps and fairing out the chine logs. I think they turned out pretty well as far as the fairing goes. I also mixed up some more, thick epoxy to fill in any necessary gaps or holes.

So far my scarphing ability seems to be pretty darn good. So much so that I built extra scarph jigs so that I could scarph the entire sheer clamp all in one go. Had a bit of an issue when I was epoxying the starboard sheer clamp as it decided to roll off of the strongback; which kind of knocked it out of whack. A quick reset and re-clamp had her all fixed though.

I decided now was the time to figure out where and how the inner stem was to be affixed. I used the chine logs as a reference and notched the forward inner keel around them. I then ripped 2 1x4x4′ to approximately the same width as the completed outer stem. I left them a bit long and figured I would get the final measurement for the length of the inner stem when the sheer clamps went on. They wrap from the transom to the stem so I figured they would be a pretty good marker.

The next day after the epoxy had dried on the sheer clamps, I began to notch the frames to receive them. My handy sonic crafter sure is good for this; it’s up there with the indispensable tools for this build. It was fall festival and parade day, so my wife took both girls and they went and had a great time. I stayed behind to temporarily affix the sheer clamps and mock them up for epoxying. Starting at the stern I worked forward double checking my spacing on each frame as I went. Since it was just me and the sheer clamps are a bit long; I rigged up a pretty cool way of fitting them. I tied one end to the chine log and the other to the sheer clamp on frame C with a bit of line. Thus it was held up on the front end while I worked on the back end to secure it. I used two long bar clamps that pulled the frames together (if out of alignment) as well as pulled the sheer clamp in place if it was low. Once this was done I screwed the sheer clamp to the frames. Starting on the starboard side I battled with them for the better part of the day. The end of the day had me cut and fit the top of the inner stem so that it would receive the sheer clamps and be flush with the tops of them.

The day afterwards I decided to go ahead and epoxy the sheer clamps and work on the middle section of the Transom. This center piece calls for 4 layers of ½ plywood epoxied together. With only slight headache though, the sheer clamp epoxied relatively well. I also finished epoxying the inner stem as well.

With a plethora of odd and end pieces of Marine Plywood, I figured I would create a jigsaw type approach to the center transom. I cut two big pieces that were the size of the space between the current split transoms and figured on filling the other two layers with pieces cut to fit together. Any spaces and gaps could be best dealt with by adding copious amounts of epoxy at varying thicknesses. I got the first two layers epoxied together but had to stop because I ran out of epoxy. Fear not shipmates, more epoxy is enroute!

bow

stem

bow view

hull

hull

transom layup