Well shipmates what a good bit of progress over the weekend (Oct. 9-11). The chine logs have been completely scarphed and emplaced on the boat.

Since my wife has been extremely busy with class lately and I have not been any more free with my time; I had to put them on by myself. This was a bit of a bear because they are long, I mean way longer than the boat. Since I was starting at the stern I went ahead to the tied a bit of cord around frame C to the chine so that I could manipulate it but it would not fall.

Cutting the notches for the chine logs was a bit interesting as I used a scrap bit of 1x material to trace and determine how it would lay. Using my sonic crafter I cut the notches just a bit on the big side so that I would have room to make corrections in needed. I also figured that a good bit of thickened epoxy can take care of any left over space.

I started at the stern and fitted the logs into the transom and worked forward, making adjustments and ensuring proper spacing. That frankly took a while but I did end up getting all of them mocked up and screwed in for temporary fitting.

The next day I went ahead and mixed up some epoxy and epoxied everything in place. This included the thick epoxy to fill in the gaps and ensure a secure fit. Looks pretty good.

On a funnier note, when I was epoxying I left the drill on the other side of the boat. I used the drill to back out the screws so that I could epoxy between the members. I decided that the shortest distance is between two points is a straight line under the boat. Unfortunately I was a little early standing up and wacked the top of my head on the chine log. Now I can speak to just how sturdy it is because it was just find but it put me to my knees. Today I have a massive knot on the top of my head and a lesson learned. Go around the darn boat!

bow view

side view

other side