Came home and immediately went for another awful run. After I had recovered from that with copious amounts of water and AC, it was time to open the shop. Looking at the boat frames aligned and standing on the strongback, I figured the next step should be to construct the inner keel. This member is ultimately laminated of 2 pieces of 1×4 and scarped to cover the majority of the length.

Thus the keel materials at hand are 2 1×4’s at 10 feet and two at 6 feet. At Frame B, the keel goes from being horizontal to vertical on its axis. So I have three 1×4’s at 4 feet to accommodate that and the inner stem.

I cut one ten foot 1×4 so that it was eight inches shorter than the others. What this does is it ultimately creates its own scarph as I Lincoln log or Lego the keel together. The longer section will sit exactly underneath the shorter cut section so that the seams of the cuts are offset and when combined create a long beam. After cutting the first 1×4 I fit it with another uncut one just to see how well they line up together and if any warping or twisting was going to make this fitting difficult. To my relief no such issues arose and I quickly made up a batch of epoxy. Spreading it somewhat liberally on both members but not on the longer member that was sticking out, I clamped them together. I used every bit of my remaining clamps to do so; many were used to create good pressure compressing the members. Others like my bar clamps were used to ensure that the side to side motion was nullified and overall alignment between them was maintained.

Since I had no more clamps at all, I decided against attempting to make another part of the keel and wait until tomorrow. Slow and steady after all!

Inner keel