After a rip roaring late night of fun, I dragged my slightly slower self to the shop with a hot cup of coffee. Upon seeing the vast majority of the frames on the strongback, I decided that today’s priority would be to get the spacing between them correct and aligned.

Grabbing my tape measure, drill, screws and square I set about determining spacing. Frame A was simply squared off and screwed down as this was my reference point. The rest entailed determining the spacing offset from the plans and measuring from frame to frame (1x to 1x) as exactly as one could. Since the frames can give a little, I was not going to chase a 16th or 32nd. Once I had the port side measured I sank a screw into the sled attaching it directly to the strongback. I measured the starboard side and did the much in the same manner, checking for square as necessary. After both screws were sunk in, I rechecked both sides to ensure the measurement was maintained. Surprisingly that was done in a relatively quick manner.

I went inside for a minute to get some water and decided to ask my wife if she would help me with getting the measurements for the transom. She obliged and told me she would bring them out shortly.

Now it was off to align the frames. This required the ever so precise tools of my eye and a rubber mallet. I simply looked down the crook of the frames at the V where the keel will go and aligned the frame to the one in front of it. So this had me gazing down the center of the boat while whacking the legs to one side or another to move the frame port or starboard. Worked extremely well and soon the frames were aligned fairly precisely. The crow’s feet of the frame were secured with clamps; I was debating on using screws but determined I may yet need to move the frames side to side some more.

Shortly after the alignment was complete, Savannah appeared with the measurements I needed for the transom. I love having a human calculator for a wife! I took the measurements and began mounting the transom. Since it is a split transom, the pieces are held together with scrap 1x material and a cross member 2×4. It took a little bit as it was just me but I soon mounted the transom and had it standing on the strongback. As for the angel, I put another cross member higher on the legs and got two scrap pieces of 2×4. These scrap pieces were placed on the top cross member and butted up against the inboard sides of the transom. I used a long bar clamp and my tape measure to figure out how far from Frame J the bottom of the transom will be. Pulling the transom inward I clamped it fast once I had reached the requisite measurement. I then sank screws trough the 2×4 into the transom to hold it at that angel. As you might guess I repeated the same thing on the other side.

By the end of the day, all the frames were aligned and made fast to the strongback. It looks AWESOME! She really is starting to take shape.