Savannah had to go out of town on a day trip for personnel matters. It was therefore up to me to watch the kids and work on the boat with Tony.

Once the crew and I had been assembled at the house, Tony and I went to the shop and the kids watched cartoons. Seemed like a relatively good division of labor to me for the time being (although Tony kept wanting to watch cartoons too…).

Work started in the shop on Frame C by attaching the 2×4 cross member on top of the frame and getting the legs and crow’s feet emplaced on the sled for Frame C. Once that was done, the “fun” part of trying to hang the frame at exactly the right height began. This consisted of Tony holding the frame while I used a tape measure, bar clamps, level and my drill to attach the cross member on the frame to the legs. Talk about a juggling act; Frame C took a minute to figure out and Frame D was not much better. It was either on Frame D or E that I made a bit of a goof in my measurements. I read the height from the baseline of the frame at 1′ 1 1/2″. When we got that beastie into place and screwed down I noticed that the frame was much shorter than the precursor frames. Thus Tony and I double checked the measurements on every other measurement of every other frame until I realized I had read the measurement for the short frame wrong. It was in actuality 3′ 11 ½” which definitely accounted for its diminutive stature. In quick order we had it re-measured and at the right height. We also realized that one of the frames was backwards and needed to have its port and starboard side swapped. This was relatively easy to accomplish thanks to the crow’s feet design, just lifted it off the sled and turned it 180 degrees and reset it on the sled.

Around lunch time I figured it would be a prudent to feed the kids, Tony had said he was hungry also. For lunch I oven’d up a pizza for the kids and buffalo tenders for us. Soon after that was consumed time had come for Annaliese to go down for a nap, which she did not do much protesting about. Paylah wanted to come outside with Tony and me to help work on the boat, so I figured why not. Once we were sure little bit was asleep, we ventured back to the shop.

I put Paylah to work holding the tape measure so that it would free up my hands to manipulate the frame, clamps and drill. This worked rather well and the rest of the frames went up pretty quickly, stopping only for the regular water break and to check on Annaliese. Thus by the time Savannah had returned, all the frames were stood up on the strongback. Now they weren’t aligned or anything, but they were no longer just lying around the shop. Unfortunately I was not able to get the transom piece up on their legs because I did not know the height, nor exactly how I was going to give it the angle required. The transom is actually at a 7 degree angle where the bottom inclines toward the bow. Since we had already put in a good long day’s work and dinner as well as the typical Saturday festivities was upon us, I decided to wait until tomorrow to tackle the transom.

Tape Measure