The day started with a bit of amusement as I opened the shop. I discovered that a little stowaway had managed to make their way inside during the night or early morning. It was none other than my arch nemesis during deer season, a squirrel! He however was far more upset by the encounter than I as he proceeded to attempt a quick exit. From what I am sure looked to him as a completely viable exit was, in fact, a closed window. The squirrel undaunted, attempted to crash through the window several times by using his head as a battering ram. I did my best to conceal my laughter (the aide of not consuming enough coffee helped I am sure) and managed to produce my phone and capture some of his antics. Afterword’s I moved out smartly to the house so I could find a pellet gun and show my wife the video.

Fear not friends of the squirrel, I was unable to get him as he had left before my return.

My wife however decided she would come outside to the shop in order to aide me in my gluing of frame A and building of frame B. This was a real boost to have someone who can be a real asset during construction and two is actually a math wiz. Savannah is so good at math she takes extra college classes of higher level coursework in the subject. She can also help spread epoxy and make sure I do not glue anything to the table.

Upon my lovely wife’s arrival, we began to epoxy frame A together. I was fairly diligent with my epoxy mixing so as to ensure a good set. On a side note; this stuff gets awful warm/hot when it’s mixed and you are applying it. We covered all the joints and plates before using screws to attach the plates and join the frame together. Lastly I clamped everything down real good, ensuring not to epoxy the clamps to the wood.

After frame A had been epoxied thoroughly and was drying; we set about getting another sheet of leftover plywood. Much like earlier, we used the plywood as a template to draw the lines of frame B on. Laying the lines out on the template went far faster and easier with Frame B probably for a myriad of reasons. 1) I had some experience 2) Savannah is a human calculator and 3) Frame B had easier angles than Frame A.

With Frame B being completely drawn out on the template, with us this time drawing in the actual members (using a piece of 1×4); we decided to skip the whitewood moulds. Savannah figured out how to much more accurately measure and determine the exact angle required on the 1×4 members. Thus much less (if any) planeing was required and the pieces fit together almost perfectly. The marine plywood part of the frame however was a different story for some reason. Mismeasurement and poor drawing of the lines required us to redo them once we found out that to make our mistakes “work” would require a crapload of epoxy. Yet on the second attempt and with much more attention to detail, we successfully had the marine plywood cut and ready for epoxy.

Frame B was epoxied much like frame A but I decided this time to use a thicker epoxy in greater quantity (in hopes of really spreading a lot of stickum!). All this meant was that the much larger volume of thick epoxy would heat up faster and hotter and thus set quicker. We got through the majority of the 1×4 joints before it became too hot and the red solo cup began to distort. It was an unusable clump approximately 5 min after mixing (the shriveling of the red solo cup was kinda cool though). Hey, learning experience is what I chalked it up too and mixed another batch of epoxy. This second mix being much runnier like the epoxy used on frame A was, made for a much better and overly successful second attempt.

Both frames A and B were clamped through the evening and I suspect tomorrow will determine if I was completely successful or not.

Wood

Frame A

Frame A

Glueing Frame A

Frame B