Had a hard time really getting motivated to do anything on the boat today. We were out of town yesterday and I didn’t get to work on it, but this afternoon was loose and the weather was beautiful (scattered clouds and very pleasant temperatures). Managed to get the paint bucket out and do some trim work.
Got another coat on the starboard rubrail, and put the first coat on the port side. Then moved to some of the front door trim.
After that, I did the inside window trim. Doesn’t show in the picture well, but it really helps the appearance to start getting some of the bare wood covered.
Fiddled with the bathroom door latch and have it mostly working now (no picture, sorry). Nothing that fancy, but will keep the door shut 🙂
Saw a reference to Merton’s on one of the builder’s mailing lists. Hadn’t seen them before, but looks like they have some good stuff if you need supplies.
We specialize in the supply of fiberglass, resins, non-corrosive fasteners,and marine paints and compounds for boat construction and repair. We package these materials to order and ship daily via U.P.S. or common carrier. Our customers are building and repairing all types of craft ranging from strip canoes, kayaks, and rowboats to larger power and sail boats and commercial lobster boats, fishing, and work boats.
One of the most common questions when considering building a boat is how long will it take, and how much will it cost. I know that many builders get into this endeavor not only from the love of doing it, but to save money.
It’s probably debateable if its really a money saving idea, and its certainly going to take you longer than you thought (but I still encourage you to give it a try if you want).
Glen-L is a good resource for plans and supplies and general boat-building information. They recently asked people for feedback on their costs for home-building various boats (Glen-L designs). The resulting comments and information gives a lot of good information on the ranges of both money and time people are investing in their builds.
I try to list expenditures and elapsed time on my various blog posts and will provide totals at the end. So far I’m about $6,000 dollars, and an unknown amount of time (I haven’t added it up recently).
Took a little bit tonight to get the first coat of paint on the starboard rubrail. I know, painting a rubrail is kind of odd, but with the PVC I used, I think it could stand some protection from UV and i looks better to boot.
The question is, of course, how long it will look better. Part of that depends on how often I ram the dock, I’m sure, but I’ve done some testing, and this paint on "roughed up" PVC holds better than I would have thought. I’ve beat and scraped on a sample I did a while back with little effect. We’ll see if the "real thing" holds up as well.
It will take another coat to finish it out, but I think it looks pretty sharp.
Our friends over at Duckworks Magazine have published a great guest article by a confirmed boat widow. If you are a boat widow (married to a boat builder), or if you are a builder as blessed with a supportive wife as I am, or just want another viewpoint on the building of boats, check it out.
Yet after forty-three years we are still here and still building. Unlike the missing Houston husband, Mike hasn’t sailed away in our 52 foot ketch and cleaned out our bank account, even when he had the chance. Perhaps that is why I love Jethro on NCIS so much, never sailing the boats, only building them and never, ever telling how he gets them out of the basement.
Only a boat widow would understand. That’s true love.
Went down to my parents and my Dad and I worked on the trailer a good bit today.
He had gotten the longitudinal pieces from the upper rack loose already. I cleaned them up some with the grinder (wrestling a 7" angle grinder will build arm strength, I think). We cut them to fit and started making "spacer" pieces that will go between these rails and the existing side bars.
We are adding these for stiffening and strengthening of the trailer structure. I got my first experience welding attaching some of these spacers. I managed ok. Welds don’t look that great, but practice will help.
In the picture you can see one of the new "doubler" bars along the top of the nearer side rail. Its not fastened in place yet, but that will come soon.
After that, we need to reinstall the bunks (with some fixing and replacement I think), install some fender "skirts" to keep trash and what-not from hitting the boat, and fix the brakes.
And Dane’s suggestion for our first test cruise… keep the windows open, for easy evacuation. Hmmm… maybe not a bad idea.