Recently I’ve been a bit discouraged on the V28 build, mostly since I couldn’t seem to “get anything done”. Either I didn’t have time to work, didn’t feel well, weather didn’t work out, or if all that came together, some things just hadn’t “worked” and I felt I was spinning my wheels a bit.

Well, today was a nice turnaround! (Note, this is a long, picture heavy post)

Got started about 2pm (family activities were a bit earlier than normal today) and that was after the required Home Depot run to get wood, etc.

First off I’ll cover purchases, just for the record. Some various 1×3 SYP and 2×4’s, a set of eye hooks and miscellaneous hardware to try on the windows (more about that in a bit), and some 1/8″ brass rods.

In a separate run, my local Walmart is carrying a variety of marine “stuff” of all things. Anchor, bilge pumps, deck gear and lights, all manner of stuff. Picked up a set of fairly nice looking cleats to experiment with for mounting on the side decks. We’ll see how that goes in a few days.

The last Walmart purchase was a couple of replacement hearing protectors (found in the sporting goods/gun section, by the way). We had lost one, and another broke during use today (the band over the top of your head snaps). They are “Winchester” brand, but are quite nice, and cheaper than the ones I’ve had from Northern Tool. The data sheets seem comparible, if not better.

The eye hooks and brass rods were to rework my window catches. I’ve gone through several options and wound up going with an idea I’m pretty sure I got from Brad Indicott of the Leah Gent V39 build.

He made a nicer set than mine, but the idea is the same. Take a brass rod, fasten one end in an eye screw on the window and on the other end have a hole for the rod to hook in. This will latch the window open a certain distance.

Brad had the good idea of letting the windows open part way, but keeping them inside the profile of the hull sides, so they wouldn’t hit docks or the like. All of my super ideas didn’t pan out, so I went with his, which really works well. Highly recommended.

IMG\_5183.jpeg

On my front windows, there was a convenient point to use the hook for latching the window tightly closed. The rear wasn’t quite as good, but workable.

IMG\_5184.jpeg

The next big accomplishment was the front door. We had the panel mounted, but now it has the door “stop” strips installed, the door framing in place, the window cut out made and its all ready for plexi to be installed. I have to make one more plexi purchase for this window, so it’s just open right now.

IMG\_5172.jpeg

IMG\_5173.jpeg

View from inside:

IMG\_5176.jpeg

From there, moved to working on the head… got the basic framing up like I wanted, and part of the wall in place. Initially, we may go with a curtain instead of a hard door, just for convenience. I don’t know… since the forward door came out well, I may go ahead here 🙂

IMG\_5178.jpeg

A bit ago I showed a picture of the cabin table in “table” mode. I also got the edges beefed up and rounded over today. Here’s a shot in “bed” mode.

IMG\_5174.jpeg

All-in-all, I feel MUCH better about things now. Amazing how one day when you get things done can change your outlook.

Money = $89.86 + $6.29 (tax) = $96.15

Time = 5 hours