An example of why you let the yacht club use their truck to launch your boat.
Kind of some interesting smaller boats… not a design I’ve looked at much, but nifty.
Slow day… just really didn’t feel like a lot of this.
Got the front deck area a second coat of paint… it’s looking pretty good now. I will have to work on the “edge” between the walls and the deck a bit. Getting a “sharp” edge on a curved fillet area is tough to me and tape just makes a mess whenever I’ve tried it.
Did work around the front deck hatch a good bit. Sanded it, trimmed edges, etc. Got a first coat of paint on it. “Cleaned” on the bilge (sanded) under the front deck area and vacuumed. It still needs more, but its getting there. Found one screw still poking through from below. I’ll have to grind that off before I put a flexible water tank in there 🙂
Got a coat of paint on the hatch edges also.
Moved inside and vacuumed things again and got the area between frame C and D (the forward section inside the cabin) painted with a first coat. A coat of paint really changes things, somehow. You spend so long seeing it all “bare” and suddenly, its different and “finished off” a bit.
The fillets I did on the fore/aft bulkhead sections came out pretty nice. Those are really solid now.
Time = 2.5 hours
I had taken today off, mostly with plans to work on the boat. Dane at "last day of school" activities, and Melanie with him helping the teachers. Nice weather and I had a list a mile long I was going to get done.
Too bad I just couldn’t seem to get moving on it very well.
Did get a little done in the morning, fiddled some in the afternoon, and then another bit in the evening, but not nearly what I had intended. Well, take what I can get, I guess.
Started off fixing a couple of places where the front deck seal wasn’t holding and was leaking. Also sealed up the "Frame A" (frontmost frame) joint with the hull sides. Used a good bit of epoxy on various things today 🙂
Sanded on the windows some more, and put another coat of paint there. Seem ok, although top isn’t as smooth as I would like. Starboard cabin side has a few "ripples" in it also, which is odd for MDO, but maybe the second coat of paint will help.
The bilge/underfloor area has collected all manner of gunk over the months, especially with random rainwater incursions mixing with sawdust and creating my own special brand of concrete. I’ve tried to vacuum a few times, but some of it was just stuck hard. I had figured I would have to get a sponge/scrubber and start cleaning by hand.
Hit on a better method. Took the random orbit sander, with 120 grit paper, and gave it a quick sand. It needed some smoothing anyhow, and the dirt and gunk just flew. Once it was loose, it was simple to vacuum up.
With the inside clean, I decided it was time to fasten the fore-aft bulkheads to the hull bottom. This joint is specified to be epoxy filleted for additional hull bottom strength. I got both of them epoxied in place (pictures above and below). When that dries (tomorrow, probably), I’m going to paint the bilge area and then try my best to keep it reasonably clean.
Lastly, made a quick run and picked up a little lumber for the forward window framing, a bit of glue, and some disposable plastic putty knives that I use for epoxy spreading (they last quite a while, chipping off the epoxy, until they get too scratched up and too much accumulation).
I guess now that I’ve written it down, it was a better day’s work than it felt like.
Money = $16.84 (glue, putty knives, wood for frames) + $1.18 (tax) = $18.02
Time = 4 hours
Interesting article in the New York Times about working with your hands, the positives that can bring, and how our societies have recently moved away from that.
I know that being able to get away from a desk/computer and really do something is one of the most gratifying parts of my build.
Got in just a few minutes of sanding before the rain arrived (again). Looks like most of the window work is pretty good. Got a couple of places to fill in a little more, but most of it just needs a coat or two more of paint.
Time = 20 minutes
Well, maybe it’s really 30 minutes.
Mad Marinerâ„¢ has posted a "MadCast" interview they did with me a little while back. This is available as a podcast that you can listen to online, on your iPod or similar device, or even read the transcript.
Hope you enjoy!
Received another gallon of epoxy from U.S. Composites today. That let’s me start filling and patching some "bad" places on the windows and around. I hope this is the last gallon I’ll need, but I’ll believe that when I get done 🙂
Got things unpacked, poured the last little bit of resin from the old container in, and got some patching done. Went around all the windows and that pretty much finished out daylight before supper.
Money = $61.00 + $10.70 (shipping) = $71.70
Time = 1 hour