Merry Christmas

Just wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas… this post should appear as the Eastern US rolls over into Christmas day. We’ve had a busy day with a (now nine) year old’s birthday.

Dane celebrates a birthday on Christmas Eve, then we do Christmas. He seems to consider it grand fun that everything happens at once.

Take care everyone, please be careful, and lets all remember Christ’s birthday!

Hydrokinetic turbine

>>> Hydrokinetic turbine

The nation’s first commercial hydrokinetic turbine, which harnesses the power from moving water without the construction of a dam, has splashed into the waters of the Mississippi River near Hastings, Minnesota.

A nifty underwater turbine that doesn’t rely on a dam… just spinning from the current of the river.

Front deck coating

Had about an hour this afternoon to get the first coat of Durabak on the front deck.

First task was to pump the water out of the bilge (rained last night), then vacuum and clean the front deck area well. A wipe down with Xylene (per manufacturer’s instructions) and tape off the edges where I didn’t want it.

Then I had to get the can open. I had purchased a gallon, which was shipped in 4 quart cans, short and squatty cans… never seen that size, but worked nicely. Anyway, for shipping there were these little metal clips to hold the lids on. I hadn’t encountered them before, but they sure work. Took some dedicated prying and a pair of pliers to get them off, then open the can like a normal paint can.

Stir well (they recommend a power stir attachment with a drill, but I didn’t find one that would fit in that shallow can very well, so I used a stir stick). Then started laying it on with a chip brush. Roller is an option, but I decided to try the brush given the odd angles and areas I needed to get into. You just “lay it on” instead of really brushing it out.

One quart let me cover the front deck hatch with the required two coats, and the rest of the deck area with a single coat. I’ll come back to it and apply the next coat in the next few days.

img_3624.jpeg

The temperature was ok when I did this, but wound up dropping off rapidly tonight. When Dane and I checked on things this evening, its still slightly tacky, but seems like its doing ok. The instructions say that extremes of temperature will delay drying, but it shouldn’t cause a problem. Hopefully they are right.

img_3625.jpeg

Time = 1 hour

Frogma

>>> Frogma

For something a little different, a blog by a female kayaker, Bonnie, who lives in the New York/Hudson River area… my that just sounds cold to me, but apparently not a big problem.

Check it out.

Being the Continuing Adventures of a Woman and her Trusty Kayak in New York Harbor, the Hudson River, and Beyond. (with occasional political rants just to keep things lively!)

Kolstrand Marine Supply follow-up

Some time back I covered Kolstrand Marine Supply as a possible source of goods. That sparked a fairly busy flurry of comments that seemed to show that Kolstrand has/had gone out of business.

I just wanted to point out a recent comment from a man apparently representing the company, Integrity Machining Inc., that has bought out Kolstrand. I can’t vouch for any of it, but you might want to check them out, especially if you are waiting on old orders or anything like that.

Cabin sidewalls

Last night Dane and I got some ply to start on the cabin walls, and today I managed to make some progress.

I took the day off and actually got to work on things some. It was about 70 degrees here in Atlanta today. Quite a change from the last couple of weeks.

First trimmed the roof edges flush, then started mounting the first of the cabin sidewalls. Hope it stays together.

Got another layer of paint on the roof, and an initial layer on the side panels to start sealing it up. Ran out of time to do any of the bedliner material, which was also on the list for today (have to have a warm enough day to do it)

img_3588.jpeg

img_3590.jpeg

Money = $70.34 (glue and ply) + $4.92 (tax) = $75.26

Time = 4.5 hours