A couple of quick pictures… haven’t been able to do any work, but did snap these so that you can tell what I’m talking about:
This is the front deck with the Xynole cloth (still wet and not finished).
This is part of the rear deck… with a bit of the forward hatch showing at the bottom since I have it propped up back there drying.
Our friends Warren and Robin of the Pepi (now the Wasilla) are anxiously awaiting their new Island Pilot DSe. It’s now loaded on a freighter and making its way to the US. Check their posting for more pictures and details.
Neat looking boat. I look forward to hearing more from them and their adventures, and more about this solar/electric hybrid.
And just for something on the opposite end of the scale… gee, how many of my boat would this thing hold?
Well, deck work continues.
Dane sanded the forward deck nicely, then vacuumed it and the rear deck area (all the bilges, etc.). Then he wiped down the forward deck to get the remaining dust off.
While he was busy with all that, I cut and mounted the deck support boards for the rear cockpit area. I’m not going to seal those in place quite yet, but the deck fits in fairly well and is getting about ready. Also got the forward deck hatched planed up some and some sealing epoxy on the edges.
I put more fillets and sealing epoxy under the rear deck for a while, then we moved to putting the Xynole cloth on the forward deck. We got it about 2/3rd’s done before I couldn’t deal with the physical position anymore and had to stop. Crouching in that place with the work area shrinking as you work yourself into a corner just wasn’t cutting it 🙂
Hopefully I can "pick up" where I stopped, otherwise, I’ll have to trim it off somewhere mid-deck and "join" it together. I think I can manage that fairly well after the experience on the hull bottom.
Time = 3 hours
A recent discussion on the Duckworks mailing list taught me a couple of little tricks that I thought were worth sharing.
If you have tie-down straps (say holding your small craft on your car top) that are vibrating in the wind, there is a solution: twist the strap several times so that it is not flat.
I know that newer car radio antennas often have a spiral "ridge" on them that supposedly helps with sound and vibration. This tip seems to follow the same idea. I’m sure there are some very fancy fluid flow dynamics involved, but seems like its at least worth a try.
Varying recommendations on how many twists came up. It depends on the strap width, length of unsupported span, and speed, so just give it a try. One person even suggested twisting it many times until its more round than flat. I’m not sure if that is going to have adverse impacts on the tie-down aspects of the strap, but I imagine it certainly changes the vibration properties.
One last tip… if all else fails, get some of the round foam pipe insulation and tape it over the strap… apparently that works also.
As a follow-on to the C-Dory Tomcat posting from the other day, here’s a blog/cruise log of a very experienced voyager who has obtained a Tomcat for her personal craft.
Looks like they have had fun!
Make sure you check their blogroll "Cruising in Small Boats" in the right sidebar… lots of good links to see.
I ought to have a steak by now, with all these fillets 🙂
Got the rest of the forward deck edges sealed up around the hatch and the hull sides. Have to finish up the hatch and sand a bunch.
Time = 45 minutes
Our friend from Germany, Klaus, who’s building an aluminum river boat, pointed me to this nifty site.
An experienced US East Coast cruiser, David Stookey, has been collecting various snippets and resources and has produced a nice web site. Check out Cruising Resources.
Another of the up-and-coming battery technologies. The various electric vehicle and hybrid research initiatives seem like they may pay off.
Worked for a while tonight sealing the edges of the forward deck to the hull sides and frame C. Got a nice epoxy seal and fillet filing the cracks. Once I sand it all, I think it will be nice.
Have a little more to do on that, and then we can start sanding and getting ready for a layer of Xynol like is on the hull.
Time = 1.5 hours