Forward cockpit deck

Between funerals and funeral home visits (it’s been one of those weekends), Dane and I got a couple of hours to work on the boat.

Cut one side (it has to be two pieces to be wide enough) of the forward cockpit deck. This is another one of those cases where nothing is as easy on a boat with the curves and angles. This deck piece is sloped fore and aft, so its a little tricky getting the length right. It also fits against the hull curve (at an angle) and must be notched around two frame pieces.

Took a bit of trimming, but it came out pretty decent, I think. Now to do the other half and get them to meet in the middle.

Money = $9.16 (glue) + .64 (tax) = $9.80

Time = 2 hours

Still alive

Been out of town on business, so haven’t been able to work on the boat. Wound up that it was probably good timing, since Atlanta got a ton of rain and I wouldn’t have been able to get much done anyhow (and boy did we need the rain!).

Dane got the boat pumped out (with Melanie’s help) while I was gone, and this morning I finished cleaning up a little remainder he had missed. Tonight we made a Home Depot run and got wood.

I now have the rest of the ply for the cabin roof (may be short one piece, but we’re close), enough 3/4" stuff for the front cockpit deck, and some 1x strips for various and sundry. Tomorrow we may have time to put some of that in place.

Money = $155.12 + $10.86 (tax) = $165.98

Time = 1 hour

Floating Hotels-Houseboats in Kerala

>>> Floating Hotels-Houseboats in Kerala

Kerala-House-Boat.jpg

We had a link to some of these boats before, but this page has a bunch more pictures and a lot more detail about some of the possible trips.

Traditionally, the Kerala houseboat was called Kettuvallam, which means a boat made by tying together pieces of wood. Unbelievable as it may sound, not a single nail is used in the making of a Kettuvallam…

Divers find HMS London

>>> Divers find HMS London

Divers discover amazingly preserved shipwreck of HMS London on bottom of Thames

The largest-ever post-war salvage operation on the Thames has discovered seven shipwrecks up to 350 years old.

They include a warship that was blown up in 1665, a yacht converted to a Second World War gunboat, and a mystery wreck in which divers found a personalised gin bottle.

Pretty neat… history and boats and England all in one article!

Make sure and follow the link for some slick pictures.

Roof layers

Dane and I had a little while Saturday (yesterday) and got out and put part of a second layer on the cabin roof. Went fairly well, up to the point that we got rained out.

We’ve been getting a lot of rain from the hurricane (Fay) that’s been floating around Florida flooding them out for a week, it seems like.

The second layer of the roof certainly seemed to stiffen it up some. Also got the "overhang" rough trimmed on the side where I had been letting the sheets hang over long. That makes things look symetrical (and also makes it easier to cover with a tarp.

Time = 2 hours

HovPod Hovercraft

>>> HovPod Hovercraft

HovPodHovercraftVeryHighQualityTIFF.jpg

A neat commercial hovercraft. Looks to be laid out kind of like a jetski inside, but it’s a hovercraft.

Hovercraft for leisure and commercial use.

Hov Pod hovercraft are very easy and fun to drive; designed with marine safety in mind. These amphibious vehicles allow you to hover over any flat surface, including water, ice, snow, sand, mud, grass. Hov Pod hovercraft are safe, reliable, durable, & designed to make leisure hovercraft ownership easy.

Cabin roof

Got home and got busy…

First off was to unfasten (and saw off, since the glue worked great) the cabin top stringer at the port stern corner where I had mismeasured and it was way too high. Got it loose, recut the vertical and refastened it.

Then I got busy putting a layer of cabin top on. This is somewhat out-of-order from the recommended build order, but I’m trying to get things closed in a bit more rapidly since I pretty much am having to build outside without cover. I’m sure I will pay some price with difficulty in getting some of the interior bulkheads fitted and the like, but I think I can deal with that better than having to pump things out on a regular basis.

img_2908.jpg

Got the three rear panels in place. The front one is just laying there in this picture. I’ll see about getting it fastened in the next day or two. I have to get the two centerline "door posts" trimmed to the right height. One of them has tried to warp… hopefully I can get that fixed without removing it (also well glued…).

img_2914.jpg

Time = 2 hours