Got out this morning and did a final solvent wipe to get all the dust and dirt that I could off, then broke out the paint.

Before:

First coat went on quite nicely. I’m using an high quality exterior acrylic latex (Duramax by Valspar). Some people think that’s crazy (like several things I do), while several others that I respect recommend it highly and have had good luck. This will be a trailer boat a lot of the time, at least early on, and for the next year or so, it will be sitting in the yard like a house anyhow. I think it will be ok.

For anybody that is painting a Mark V28, you’ll need a couple of gallons. One gallon is rated to cover 300-400 square feet. I figure that the hull and sides are roughly 325-350. Seems to match up pretty well with how much I used for one coat.

We had chosen a very light grey color. After the first coat, we decided that: 1) it needed a second coat (not unexpected) and 2) we wanted a darker color. The grey was just too light and nearly looked white. The light semi-gloss also showed the various imperfections pretty badly.

First coat:

So, during the afternoon errands, we got another gallon with a slightly darker and bluer color.

Final:

There are certainly still imperfections and problems, but that both matched the color we wanted much better, and also hid a lot of problems. I’m quite pleased.

All in all, it went quite quickly. Even got a chance to put together the first "cradle" I intend to use to hold it up when we get it turned over.

Now we just have to roll it!

Money = $52.36 (paint, wood, rollers) + $3.67 (tax) = $56.03

Time = 4 hours