This posting is a little late, but we made a quick out-of-town trip and I didn’t get the posting made until we got back home.

Anyway, had a few hours Saturday night and managed to get the rest of the laminations for the outer keel/skeg finished. Went right together, just repeat the same step over and over.

Had one section I made a bit long, but it’s much easier to plane off than add to.

One item I keep "learning" over and over, but don’t seem to be absorbing well in this project: Go ahead and make the jig, waste the "scrap" or whatever. I always want to "not bother" or "not use the materials" to rig up a jig. I find that usually it winds up wasting much more time, or more materials when I mess something up, than if I had gone ahead and made the jig.

This was a similar case. The plans include a nice picture of building up a similar skeg on a Mark V20. The designer/builder has rigged a temporary couple of boards to lay out the shape he is building to. After a couple of layers I realized finding the right "angle" to determine the length of each layer was tough. Broke down and rigged up a straight edge out of some scrap and wah-lah… easy as pie.

Had to pick up a bit more lumber. Went to Lowe’s (mostly since I’m mad at Home Depot). Lowe’s "good stuff" SYP (Southern Yellow Pine) was very nice, but way more expensive than the HD stuff I’ve been getting. As I was fixing to give up on Lowe’s, I found their stack of #2 SYP. Not nearly as nice as I normally use, but picking through the pile found some nice stuff mixed in, and since I was ripping and could trim off a few bad edges, etc. it worked fine. The 36′ of 1×6 I bought didn’t cost much more that 10′ of 1×6 that I normally get.

Money = $11.28 + .79 (tax) = $12.07 (1x6x12’s to rip for skeg pieces)

Time = 2.5 hours