Got to work for a good while on the boat today. Picked up a 1x8x8 to use to make the outer stem. Got that cut and laminated up (two layers of 1x and 1 layer of 1/2" ply/MDO). Got the bow trimmed up and in shape to mount it, and I think I may have figured out how to mount it 🙂
Got the rest of the keel on toward the bow, with only the gap between the end of the keel and the stem to fill in. Found some 5/4 (full 1" thickness) SYP that was designed to be stairtread and have a piece of that to use for the filler. Was glad to find that, since the piece needs to be 2" thick, and several inches wide. I can laminate two layers of the 5/4 and have a really nice piece that I can cut to the right, rounded shape.
So, worked a long time and it’s hard to see that anything changed, but I felt like I made progress.
Money = $25.33 (lumber) + $1.77 (tax) = $27.10
Time = 4 hours
One big, big boat… recently went through a refit. Lots of pictures.
OK, so it’s an older article and we’re talking 1976 dollars, but its still interesting and nothing that can’t still be done today. Using traditional and newer, non-traditional methods you can have a boat that works well, less expensively than you might think.
Sailing Scuttlebutt is another online web "magazine/blog" that looks pretty interesting. I ran across it by being referred to some interesting pictures they were hosting this week… the first couple are certainly an interesting looking boat (or plane, or something).
Scuttlebutt is a digest of major sailing news, commentary, opinions, features and dock talk . . . with a North American focus. Scuttlebutt is published each weekday with the support of its sponsors.
Another new entry in the electric power world. Looks to be designed as a sailboat drop-in replacement for your gas engine. Some of the technology looks interesting. I’m thrilled to see more and more of this type of equipment on the market.
This Daily Mail article details (with pictures) an incredible, multi-year, multi-million dollar effort to build an exact 1:48 scale model of the Titanic. Complete with fiber-optic interior lighting, scale furnishing (including each exterior cabin), this is an 18 foot long "model".
The plans have never been made available for such use before…
Having started my "boat interest" building models, this is just fascinating to me.
My wife Melanie
During our weekend family visit, we unexpectedly got to spend a few hours boating on the Tennessee River. My brother-in-law recently got a new Sea Ray 26′ bow rider. Not the boat I would buy, but great for him and his family, and we certainly had a blast out on the water with them.
A little time actually "boating" instead of "building" really revitalized the desire to get this build finished… I know that won’t be any time soon, but this, combined with recent visible progress, really makes this all worthwhile.
The family both enjoyed things and we had some nice conversation on the drive home about some boat issues, design decisions, things like that. Dane was so excited about it all, that he prodded me to get some work done when we got home, instead of just vegging a few minutes. While I unloaded the car, Dane was already down digging out the plans and looking to answer a question he had.
We spent about 45 minutes removing some fo the clamping screws (Dane’s job) and I did a lot of the planing to get the skeg to shap. Still have a bit more to go, but looked pretty good.
Time = 45 minutes
This posting is a little late, but we made a quick out-of-town trip and I didn’t get the posting made until we got back home.
Anyway, had a few hours Saturday night and managed to get the rest of the laminations for the outer keel/skeg finished. Went right together, just repeat the same step over and over.
Had one section I made a bit long, but it’s much easier to plane off than add to.
One item I keep "learning" over and over, but don’t seem to be absorbing well in this project: Go ahead and make the jig, waste the "scrap" or whatever. I always want to "not bother" or "not use the materials" to rig up a jig. I find that usually it winds up wasting much more time, or more materials when I mess something up, than if I had gone ahead and made the jig.
This was a similar case. The plans include a nice picture of building up a similar skeg on a Mark V20. The designer/builder has rigged a temporary couple of boards to lay out the shape he is building to. After a couple of layers I realized finding the right "angle" to determine the length of each layer was tough. Broke down and rigged up a straight edge out of some scrap and wah-lah… easy as pie.
Had to pick up a bit more lumber. Went to Lowe’s (mostly since I’m mad at Home Depot). Lowe’s "good stuff" SYP (Southern Yellow Pine) was very nice, but way more expensive than the HD stuff I’ve been getting. As I was fixing to give up on Lowe’s, I found their stack of #2 SYP. Not nearly as nice as I normally use, but picking through the pile found some nice stuff mixed in, and since I was ripping and could trim off a few bad edges, etc. it worked fine. The 36′ of 1×6 I bought didn’t cost much more that 10′ of 1×6 that I normally get.
Money = $11.28 + .79 (tax) = $12.07 (1x6x12’s to rip for skeg pieces)
Time = 2.5 hours
Just a quick wish for a Happy Memorial Day to our U.S. readers. Since so many will be enjoying their holiday on the water with family and friends, please be careful and safe!
Don’t know about the "world’s first" claim, but a very nice boat… all solar/electric, carbon fiber, LCD touchscreen controls… all the fancy stuff.