Morten Olesen offers a fairly wideranging set of plans geared around the beginning boat builder. Mostly smaller craft, but some nice looking boats.
Easy-To-Follow Wooden Boat Plans Available for Instant Download boat plans
Boat building can seem like an overwhelming task. How can someone take a boat design, follow the boat plans and turn it into a gorgeous sailing vessel he can be proud of? It’s easy when you are under my direction. I’m master boat builder and Naval Architect Morten Olesen.
HotMaps Explorer, powered by Fugawi, is a commercial offering charts to explore 10,000+ freshwater lakes all on one DVD. It’s not designed for navigation or detailed work, but for exploring options and planning purposes, it looks interesting. For $20 might be handy.
An interesting, fairly long term live-aboard blog. Plenty of pictures and fairly long posts. Check it out!
Todd & Brenda Lanning Todd and I have created this blog to document our adventures over the next few years as live-aboards on our 40-foot Oceania Sundeck Trawler named "Life’s2Short." We hope you will check in periodically to find out what we’ve been up to!
Got home early enough to try to get a little done. Hauled another sheet of MDO around to the boat, swept up a bunch of the accumulated sawdust on top of the hull, and started to get ready to measure and cut the first piece of the second layer of the bottom.
Got it all measured out, and I’m sure it would have fit, but the way I laid it was going to have a lot of waste. Decided on a different method (slide to the other end of the board) and cut there… by the time I got that measured and laid out, I was running out of daylight. I decided it would be better to be safe than sorry, so just put it aside and will revisit tomorrow. Had some problems getting the layout right due to not having enough room to the outsides of the hull for the ply to overhang. It’s a tight fit in there sometimes.
A bit late in the day, but wanted to pass on a very Happy Easter to all my readers out there. We had a great day here… morning services with a nice drama with Christ ascending (I do lighting and drama stuff at our church), dinner with the family, and then some time to work on the boat.
You can always use another set of eyes on the problem. I’ve been struggling with how to trim off the bow panel I mounted the other day so that I could mount the other side. No matter what I thought of, it seemed like I would just be guessing how to do it.
Well, as usually, when you get stuck, get another opinion. My Dad was over for Easter dinner and wondered out to see how progress was going. We were looking at the bow and I mentioned my confusion. He immediately pointed out that all I had to do was use a straight edge from the “unfinished” side, mark where the panel will intersect and cut along that line. When I had time to work this evening, I took a ruler, laid it in place along the inner stem (which is already cut to the right angle) and marked where it hit the side panel. Cut along line and presto. After that, It was an easy matter to put the other side in place. Now it really looks like a boat.
All of that concern and it just seemed to work. As icing on the cake, the “lean” I’ve fought at the bow just “came out” and it seems nice and straight.
Got to actually get some work done today. Started off by adding fillets (epoxy and fiberglass tape joints) between what will be the bottom of the sheer clamps and the hull sides. This seemed to work very nicely. The fiberglass tape wetted out well and it was easy to do. I used the "ziploc bag" epoxy application method where you put the epoxy in the bag and clip a corner off and use it like a pastry/baker’s decorating tube. Laid down a nice bead. Smooth out with a plastic spoon and away you go.
Dane was a big help cutting the fiberglass cloth tape for each section.
After we got tired of that, I moved to the box. Put one of the two bow panels in place… I’m all the way to the front on one side!
After dinner picked up a few odd supplies from Home Depot… some more adhesive, and some putty knives. I had a plastic putty knife that I have been using to spread and apply some of the epoxy… worked great until I forgot it and let it set up in the nearly empty cup of epoxy. Time to replace that one 🙂
Got home with enough time and daylight to get a bit done. I went through the interior and ground off and sanded a bunch of what will be the bottom of the sheer clamp/deck area. I want to clean that up and do a bit of filleting there to ensure a good bond and having it "upside down" will make it much easier.
Also worked on the stern a while, planing off some of the side panels flush with the bottom and transom. Starting to get the hull bottom read for it’s next layer of ply/MDO.