As a follow-on to the previous post of the French "boat lift", here’s another set of pictures of a different boat transport arrangement on the canals in France. I don’t know much about it, but the pictures are quite interesting.
A "boat lift" constructed in 1969 to replace/bypass 17 locks in France. Quite a sight… check the pictures. Someday I want to explore those European canals.
I recently got a catalog in the mail (mail, what’s that… how quaint in this day of the web :-)) from Waterfronts Nautical. They carry a wide range of clothing and nautical "stuff"… Some knicknacks and nautical themed clothing, and other practical wear and gear. Their web site is extensive and you can do your shopping there, by phone/fax or old fashioned mail order.
Usually the phrase "it comes to a point" ends with something like "where you just have to…". When you’re building a boat, coming to a point means a whole different thing.
Dane and I got the notch cut in the inner stem and Frame A and got the inner stem installed… the boat finally comes to a "point"!
One problem is apparent… the chine logs don’t match up right. One side is great:
Also took a first pass on beveling off the inner keel… that came out fairly well, although some trimming and filling will be required, I"m sure.
Time = 3.5 hours
In addition to my work on the Inner Stem today, I also started on my Vertical Launch System to provide security and protection. I figure a group of missle launchers should be just the thing.
Actually, its a gel holder. As another "side job", I run lighting and various technical things at my church (First Baptist, Jonesboro, GA). Gel is the colored plastic you place in front of lights to make them shine in different colors. Its slick, has lots of static cling, and in general is a pain to deal with. We have been doing some cleanup and work in our lighting booth and I was making up a new storage rack to roll and sort the gel. Getting it all assembled, all I could think of was that it looked like some kind of missile launcher.
So, its not really for the boat, but I couldn’t help posting it 🙂
After some trials and tribulations, I got the inner stem cut and glued up. Somehow scaling those pieces up from a line drawing got tricky to me. Mark V had provided a scale layout with a 3" square overlay, so that you could easily scale it up. No problem, right?
Well, usually, but I measured, re-measured, re-measured again, never getting the same thing twice. Finally got it, cut one board, found it was wrong, measured some more… just one of those things. Wound up coming out ok, I think (even managed to use the "wrong" board in another position and not waste it).
Anyway, due to some other family confusion (death in the family, etc.) I didn’t get as much time in as I planned, but wound up getting this piece done. Did pick up another box of screws for various fastening.
Money (screws) = $6.97 + .49 tax = $7.46
Time = 2.5 hours
Mad Marinerâ„¢ has an ongoing series on navigation software… in depth reviews including PC, Mac and even freeware software. So far I’ve been quite impressed. This resource page lumps it all in one starting point.
For full disclosure, I write some paid articles for Mad Marinerâ„¢.
Here’s a commercial site (Dubai based, I believe) that is probably out of the range of all of my readers, but can be good for an interesting surf… megayachts, personal subs, you name it. Pretty to drool over, anyhow 🙂
A cute human interest story concerning the pumpkin regatta in Windsor, Nova Scotia… Grow a big pumpkin, hollow it out, and use it as a boat. Includes pictures and video 🙂 Definitely an alternative building material, although I expect it to be fairly short lived.