Cruiser’s Net – Cruisers Helping Cruisers

>>> Cruiser’s Net – Cruisers Helping Cruisers

A link in the latest PassageMaker Magazine points us to cruisersnet.net. This is a great site by Claiborne Young who has amassed a huge amount of information about cruising in the Southeast United States.

Of particular interest is the set of (free download) ICW Problem Videos. Covering "problem stretches", they suggest alternatives or good routes around some of the hazard areas.

Lastly, they have a page showing how a 80′ masted vessel has been making it down the ICW (Intra Coastal Waterway). They have some heavy (2000lbs heavy) bags of water hung from the mast tops. They let them heel them over until the mast will clear the bridges. Check the pictures… you’ve got to see this to appreciate it.

Fastened skin

Took a couple of hours and fastened three of the six pieces of hull bottom that I have ready so far. Went with adhesive and some screws to hold things in place. Seemed to fit nicely with a little fairing/planing on a couple of frames. All-in-all looked good.

Time = 1.5 hours

Ken’s Paper Boat Page

>>> Ken’s Paper Boat Page

This is a really slick site chronicling the use of ‘paper’ to build boats… from the 1800’s until the present day, this material has been used to build full sized boats. All of us who are interested in building and alternative materials will find something of interest here.

Paper Boats? Is this for real?

This web page is devoted to an obscure subject in the history of technology: the manufacture of full size boats from paper during the later half of the 19th century. Not toy boats, but boats people could ride around in; racing shells, canoes and rowboats. There was even at least one steam launch built. This may seem like an extremely odd thing to be doing, but it made sense at the time. (Trust me!) If you read elsewhere on these pages you’ll discover why. Start with the "Short History" below.

Today, amateur boat builders occasionally take a stab at making a paper boat for their own and other’s amusement. For several years there was even a quarterly newsletter for paper boat enthusiasts, appropriately named, "The Paper Boater".

Merry Christmas!

As we celebrate this Crhistmas season around the world, I just want to wish all my boat building, cruising and otherwise boat nut friends a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

May you enjoy your time with family and friends, stay safe and have fun on the water or off!

Another section

While waiting on the family to arrive for birthday (Dane’s birthday is the 24th of Dec.) and Christmas activities, we got another could of sections of hull bottom cut. Also got the answers to some attachment questions I had from Mark V, so we’re ready to attach in the next few days!

Also cut two small pieces to attach at the sides of the motor well to help fasten the hull bottom to. Mark suggested they be added after assembly of the motor well, and it seems like that was a good idea 🙂

Time = 2 hours

More skin

Haven’t fastened them yet, but got another three pieces of the skin cut and laid in place. Looking more and more "boat-like". Did run into one design problem. The hull bottom is spec’ed to have the plywood placed at 45 degree angles to the hull, with a second layer 90 degrees to the first. Problem arose when the required length of one piece at a 45 is longer than a standard 8′ piece of plywood… short by about 8". I wound up cutting a strip off the side of the piece so that it reaches the centerline without leaving a little triangle opening.

Regardless, things went pretty well. Boat seems very solid even climbing around on top of it. I’m getting better coverage than my rough estimates gave. I had figured worst case of 8 pieces to cover the bottom (one layer). I think I may make it with just 6. Given how much narrower the bottom is at the bow, the cutoffs of the pieces at the stern are going to cover most of it.

Using less expensive wood is a nice thing 🙂

Time = 3 hours

Progress!

Actually managed to work on the boat and accomplish something today. It reaches the point that you have gone so long without being able to work on it, its hard to get "back into it". Got going and as I figured, it was nice to have that sense of accomplishment. First off cut the four layers of the motor mount for the stern. Got it glued up and then my wife was kind enough to hold the blasted heavy thing in position while I got it fastened. There will be some more glue to add on the seams (radiused epoxy filets) but its in there and stable now.

After that, Dane and I got the first piece of the hull skin cut. Its not fastened yet (got to do some more fairing/planing of the frames first), but it looks about right and was easier to fit in place than I was thinking it might.

Time = 3 hours